Do you know that the every Beginner’s “Five Steps to Building a Dream Website” always anchors on the following crucial and systematic guides, which include Website Mapping, Choosing and Registering a Domain Name, Acquiring a Hosting service, Creating a Unique Website, Get the Word Out? However, if every beginner understands and follows these focal points of building a WordPress website, I do not see the reason why so many businesses that own a website cannot boast of an online presence for their product and services.
What then are website owners, developers and designers not doing right? We shall comprehensively attend to this question by bringing you to that basic knowledge and guide for website development, which we titled “Beginners guide to building a WordPress website Part 1; five steps to build your dream website.” Therefore, here is what you should know as a beginner before building your dream website:
- Website Mapping: There are varieties of websites with different variety of uses; this implies that what you want to use your website for would determine the type of website you ought to build. If you need a website for sharing your thoughts on interesting topics, you can consider developing a blog, if you need an online portfolio, you can go for a one-paged website, but if you need an online store, you can build an e-commerce site using WordPress. Hence, you need to understand these salient points, and also ask yourself these questions in order to offer yourself a clear view of what you want:
- What needs would my WordPress website serve?
- How best can I accomplish these needs?
- What tools or outside help will I require to accomplish these needs?
- Does the answers to the above questions form an About-Us page for your website?
- Choosing and Registering a Domain Name: A good domain name must be coined from search engine optimized keywords of your business niche. Choosing the right keywords for your domain name must be centered on what people want, and not based on your knowledge. Hence, the need to perform keyword research, in order to ascertain how every keyword combination would help to rank your website on search engines is necessary. For instance, you may be an IT networking specialist, but people looking for such services online always use “internet specialist,” you should coin a domain name that is more related to “internet specialist” because that is what people are searching for online.
- Acquiring a Hosting service: Your business needs, scope and budget should be the primary focus for choosing a web-hosting service, this would help you to know if any of the following types of web hosting suits you the best:
- Free hosting: This is most suitable for beginners who are not yet ready to spend money on website hosting services due to their level of experience. Sites like Blogger, WordPress, and Weebly offer free hosting services and free website, but the disadvantage is that the hosting provider may be advertising on your website or mandate you to have a sub-domain instead of having your own domain name.
- Shared hosting: As a beginner, you can get to share a server with other websites in order to cut hosting costs instead of paying for a dedicated server for your new company. This plan is beautiful but when your site traffic exceeds server bandwidth, you may start encountering some problems.
- VPS or dedicated hosting: If your online products or services are on a high demand with tones of traffic generated on the website, then your website should go for a dedicated hosting services. Dedicated servers are used only by one person, company, or organization with a group of website. It is very important for security agencies and companies with need for data security like banks and financial organizations. VPS servers are the mid-point between shared servers and dedicated servers.
- Create a Unique Website: Blogging and e-commerce sites are the most familiar site creation services, with WordPress and Blogger offering user-friendly setups with premade templates and customization options. However, if you think that WordPress and Blogger are not user friendly enough to aid you in building your own website, you can proceed to hire a developer. Ensure that whomever you are to hire should have the patience, skill and vision to create an appealing website. You can also hire a website designer to service your website if you are not getting or creating the right amount of result.
- Get the Word Out: One of the most effective ways of getting the word out about your new online presence is by adding relevant and keyword rich content on your website. We cannot over stress the importance of website content towards website visibility and search engine ranking. However, letting people know that your business is now online does not stop with keywords, you also need to tell your friends about it through word of mouth, create a fan page via social media platforms, using good marketing materials, engaging clients online, and ensuring that your website content have good details about what you offer online.
I hope this article would help you to build and maintain your website as a beginner, and we can help to offer you further guides if you contact us or share your comments.